Sunday, December 12, 2010

The secret of the sleep mechanism.

I have been looking around the web for how the sleep mechanism works on the macbook. I believed for a long time that it was hidden in the screen frame somewhere - but i was wrong.
The whole magic happens in the battery connector inside the mac. It has something that is called a reed-switch that reacts to magnetism.

enigma-penguin over at neowin-forum made this nifty jack with a magnet he put in to make his go to sleep.

This made be believe i could make a switch that i could mount in the frame. I made a spring loaded magnetic switch from aluminum (that is not magnetic) and some leftovers from the macbook. I will have to replace the knob on it with something a bit more cosmetic when I'm done, but for now it works perfect.

This is how it looks... dissembled.

This is how it looks... assembled.

This is where it will be mounted.


No comments:

Post a Comment